A Congregational church existed in Lairgate, Beverley, from the late 17th century. From around 1900, a mission to the workers at the shipyard on the River Hull grew steadily. In April 1904 the iron church, seating 170, was built in Grovehill to support this work and the Rev. H.W. Abba became the first minister.
The church soon established itself in the area by evangelistic outreach into the local community and this has developed over the years. Sir Angus Watson, the Congregational Union chairman, opened the present church building in June 1935. At that time, the name Latimer Memorial was adopted in recognition of a recently closed church in Hull of that name from whom a cash gift had been received. The church hall was erected in 1970 and further extensions were completed in 1991 to accommodate a wide range of activities for all ages.
We are a congregational church, belonging to the EFCC and we affirm oneness with the statement of faith of the Evangelical Fellowship of Congregational Churches. We are linked to other evangelical churches nationally through Affinity, and locally through belonging to the Yorkshire Gospel Partnership.